December 21, 2023 | by ProviderCFO
As we bid farewell to the old year and welcome the new, it’s important for business owners to take a moment and reassess their company’s financial health. The New Year is a great opportunity to review your business finances, make necessary adjustments, and set goals for the coming year. Here is a financial checklist to keep your business on track in the New Year:
1. Review Your Financial Statements: Begin by evaluating your balance sheet, income statement, and cash flow statement. These documents provide a comprehensive view of your business’s financial health. Looking at these statements can help you identify trends, both positive and negative, and forecast future financial performance.
2. Analyze Your Revenue and Expenses: Take a closer look at your income and expenditures over the past year. Were there any unexpected costs? Did you meet your revenue goals? Understanding where your money came from and where it went will help you make informed decisions for the future.
3. Evaluate Your Debt Situation: Debt can be a useful tool for growth if managed correctly. However, excessive or mismanaged debt can become a burden. It’s crucial to review your outstanding debts, interest rates, and repayment schedules.
4. Check Your Cash Flow: A positive cash flow is a sign of a healthy business. If your cash flow was negative last year, identify the reasons and take measures to improve it.
5. Update Your Budget: Based on your review of the previous year’s financials, update your budget for the New Year. This is an important step towards keeping your business financially healthy and ensuring you have enough resources to meet your business objectives.
6. Set New Financial Goals: Based on your financial analysis, set new goals for the New Year. These may include revenue targets, cost-reduction strategies, or investment plans. Remember to make these goals SMART – Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound.
7. Review Your Insurance Coverage: Business risks can change from year to year. It’s important to review your insurance policies regularly to ensure they still provide the coverage you need.
Starting the New Year with a clear view of your business’s financial health will set a solid foundation for success. It’s about more than just numbers; it’s about understanding your business and making informed decisions that will lead to growth and prosperity. Happy New Year and here’s to a financially prosperous year ahead!
Call us at (763) 354-1113 or fill out the form below and we’ll contact you to discuss your specific situation.